Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Military Child (A Poem by ME!)

I went to bed that night
Fighting back the tears
I knew it would do no good
To let Daddy see the fear

I wasn't sure when I'd see him
Or if he'd even make it home
All I knew was that night
Life as it was was now gone.

There'd be phone calls
And letters from overseas
Checking up on all of us
To see if we are as well as can be.

Every night was filled with darkness
And overwhelming dread
While nightmares were abundant,
Knocking pleasantries from my head.

I couldn't speak to friends at school
Because they wouldn't understand.
Every day they would go home
And hug and kiss their Dad.

So, a silent vigil alone I held
A yellow ribbon tied around my heart
Crying tears of depression
With Daddy and us a world apart

The days seemed to drag on
Turning hours into day
When would Daddy be home
And safe with us again.

I bore my misery alone
While trying to remain strong
For every night I heard the tears
That only came from my Mom.

I had to be there for her
Because no one else could
In a city full of civilians
Who else possibly understood?

So we held our heads up high
As we walk down the streets
Knowing Daddy was fighting
So that everyone could be free

It isn't easy being the child
Of one who has chosen to serve,
But one thing was certainly easy:
Being Daddy's Little Girl!

We talked as often as we could
Long distance on the phone
And in a very silly moment,
We even chose "Our Song"

"Somewhere Out There"
Was the start of that song
Every time I heard it play,
I knew that I was never alone.

So, until Daddy came home
I wished on every single star
Knowing that in he was doing the same
In country distant and far.

The military child sacrifices
More than we will ever tell
We too suffer from separation
And do our time in our own hell.

But there is not another life
That most of us would lead
Because it is a true honor
The child of a warrior to be.

So every military BRAT
Around the world unite
Let help those now
Whose parents for freedom fight.

For we know exactly
What they are going through
And it is OUR job to look after them
And to give them our strength too.

Military child of the present
You will not endure this journey alone
The rest of the military BRATs are behind you
One for all and all for one!

5 comments: