Thursday, December 11, 2014

BRAT Understanding

I can still remember that day as though it just happened.

It happened just at the start of Gulf War I.  Jennifer and I weren't friends.  To call us acquaintances was even pushing the envelope.  We had one class together and attended the same church, but that was it.  Nothing more.

I passed her at lunch one day and she was crying.  While I was sympathetic to her tears, I wasn't going to ask her what the matter was.  After all, she had friends for that.

I suddenly felt her grab my arm.  To say I was surprised would be the biggest understatement I have ever used.  "I need to talk to you."

"Why"

"You're the ONLY one who can possibly understand."

Jennifer and I both had fathers in the Navy.  Her dad was on sea duty while my dad, who was close to retirement, was on shore duty.  Our dads knew each other and to call them friends?  Yeah.  I guess you could. 

Jennifer knew this.  We sat down on the bench.  She wiped her eyes and looked at me, tears still flowing.  "We talked to Daddy last night."  *Hiccup cry* "The Sara is on deployment until further notice.  He won't be home for a long time."

I had known the Saratoga was deployed in the Gulf.  My brother's ship, the USS Enterprise, was scheduled for dry dock and they were put on alert for deployment until word came that the Sara was already in the Gulf so no need for further support.

I didn't know what to say.  What could I say?  My dad was home, safe and sound.  While he was prepared to fight if called, he was at base, sitting at his desk (or whatever Torpedomen do) and safe.

All I could think of was to hug her.  Tears started forming in my eyes. I didn't know how to comfort her.  I must have provided some comfort because she thanked me.  I also told her that if she wanted to call and talk, she could.  It was up to her.  Remember, we weren't friends.

Flash forward a few months:  Daddy and I are standing amidst civilians (I am sure there were other military, but don't quote me!) on Fernedina Beach.  The USS Saratoga and her fleet are heading back. 

The 100 day war is over.  Cheers are flowing.  Chants of USA! USA! are echoing across the river.  (I'll write more on this day in a separate entry).

At church, Jennifer pulls me aside and again says Thanks!  Even though she never called, she tells me that she couldn't have made it through without knowing that someone who understood her plight was right there, praying, and quietly supporting her.

While I don't know where she's at...and even her name...Jennifer isn't her real name (I think)...I still think of the bond that BRATs share simply because of the families we are born into.

And, in the end, we have created our own family.

No comments:

Post a Comment